Beef Chili with Beans
Yields to 10 servings
Make a big pot of chili for a Sunday Night Supper. Serve it over rice, accompany it with corn chips or corn bread. Garnish chili with shredded cheese, chopped onions and radishes, sour cream and guacamole. For additional heat, add a couple of canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce.
- 2 tablspoons olive oil
- 2 onions, choppeds
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped or a 28-oz can tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 fresh jalapeno peppers, minceds
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 kidney or black beans or a mix, draineds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and when it is hot, add the onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add the ground beef and sauté, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and jalapeno peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add some water if the mixture is too thick or dry.
- Add the red bell pepper and beans and continue to cook for another 30 minutes. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add cilantro and simmer another 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8-10.