Fresh Roasted Tomato and Beef Casserole
- 8 ounces penne pasta or elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef, preferably grass fed beef
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- Fresh Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water and add the pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta cooking liquid. Transfer the pasta to an ovenproof casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the beef and cook, breaking the beef into small pieces. Add the parsley and Fresh Roasted Tomatoes and cook for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- Transfer the tomato beef mixture to the casserole and mix with the pasta. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix together. Add some pasta liquid to moisten. Smooth out the mixture in the pan and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is browned.
For this recipe, we recommend using Hamakua Springs’ beefsteak tomatoes, or any variety of Ho Farms small tomatoes, which are ripened on the vine and pack more flavor. You should also use The North Shore Cattle Company beef if possible. These ingredients are Hawai‘i Seal of Quality products. For more information on Seal of Quality products, click on the logo.