Julia's Mango Bread
Yields large loaves
By Julia Espino McCullen, participator of Mangoes at the Moana Recipe Contest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups diced firm ripe mangoes
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- Sift together in mixing bowl: 2 cups flour, 2 tsps. Cinnamon, 1.25 cups light brown sugar, 2 tsps. Baking soda, 0.5 tsp salt.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add 3 eggs, 0.75 cup canola oil, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 cups diced firm ripe mangoes (reserve 0.5 cup batter for topping), add and mix well 0. 5 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts (reserve 0.25 cup for topping), 0.5 cup shredded coconut (reserve 1 cup for topping).
- Topping: mix together, reserved macadamia nuts, coconut, and batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. Spoon topping evenly over batter. Let stand for 25 minutes. Bake for 1 hour or until wooden toothpick or bamboo skewer inserted in center comes out clean.